Friday, December 12, 2008

Spinach Pomegranate Salad

One of the things I like best about this time of year is the availablity of pomegranates. The seeds from these fruits are packed with vitamin C and antioxidants, as well as betacarotene, making them a great nutritional source. Plus, they're downright tasty!


So I decided to whip up a salad using pomegranate seeds. Trouble is, it turned out so wonderfully that I forgot to take a pic before we devoured it. (The fact that my daughter was using the digital camera to chronicle the adventures of her Barbie dolls didn't help the matter either.



But anyway, here you go.





Spinach Pomegranate Salad





1 lb baby spinach leaves, torn into pieces
1/2 lb watercress sprigs, chopped
Seeds from 1 large pomegranate (remove bitter white membranes)
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp agave nectar
2 tbsp lime juice
1/4 tbsp black pepper



Mix spinach, watercress, pomegranate seeds, and walnuts in a large salad bowl.



Mix olive oil, rice vinegar, agave nectar, and lime juice. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to allow flavors to combine.



Sprinkle black pepper on salad mix, and pour in dressing. Mix well and serve.


I don't usually post salad recipes in the winter, but this salad is a great choice with a hot bowl of soup.





Visit this post to find out how you can help the Make-A-Wish Foundation and the Alagille's Syndrome Alliance without spending a penny. I'd be eternally grateful!

4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

No worries about no photo - it still SOUNDS marvelous!!

Maida said...

That sounds great! And so festive, too, with the red and green. I might have to make that for Christmas. Thanks for sharing!

Veggie said...

I love pomegranates, that salad sounds great. I've never thought to put them in salad.

Maida said...

I did end up making this salad for Christmas and it was SOOOO GOOD! I've made it a few times since because I liked it so much. I love the dressing-- so simple, but so flavorful. Yum!

This blog optimized using Wordtracker.